Sunday 1 April 2012

Pommard

Here I am in the heart of Burgundy and thoroughly enjoying rediscovering a region of France I last visited 26 years ago. I"m pleased to say not much has changed and I love driving around seeing the signs for Beaune, Volnay, Meursault, Chalon, Dijon and many many more. My first Beaune from a local vineyard was sadly disappointing. Watery, thin, lacking complexity and probably best I don't name names. When I was last here I remember some serious tastings over 2 days and an evening meal with Tim Marshall a real guru at the time on the region. Those were the days when Keith Floyd was doing his best to single handedly promote the region, consuming ridiculous quantities of Gevry Chambertain whilst cooking the odd meal, almost as a sideline.

I love this region, a wine drinkers Mecca and everything that epitomises the history of wine and it's pedigree in our lives. Older than many countries Burgundy wine deserves its place in history and deserves to be great. Tomorrow a walk around Pommard is on the cards so I will share my findings with great pleasure and anticipation.

Steve

No comments: